Wondering what all the media and fuss is about? Heard people talking about CBD? Here we break it down for you.
What is CBD?
Cannabidiol or CBD is one of 113 identified cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. Not the ones farmed for their buds and leaves but from hemp plants containing at most 0.2% THC. Hemp is a highly sustainable source of material, food and medicine extracts, used by humans for thousands of years.
Whilst there has been a stigma attached to cannabis plants due to the psychoactive element of THC, CBD products are THC free and have grown extensively in popularity for a wide range of users. Today you can find it on the high streets, on the internet, in your friends coffee and even on your mums bedside dresser.
CBD is one of the two most active ingredients in marijuana plants, the other being THC (the psychoactive compound). Cannabidiol although an essential part of medical marijuana by itself does not cause a high.
Who discovered CBD?
Whilst people had been using cannabidiol for millenia, from Emperors in ancient China having cannabis based tea, to Queen Victoria who was rumoured to use CBD-rich cannabis strains to alleviate the symptoms of menstrual cramps in the 1800s, it wasn’t until 1940 that it was first ‘discovered’ and isolated by Dr. Roger Adams and his team at the University of Illinois.
An american organic chemist, his work did much to determine the chemical composition of naturally occurring substances such as complex vegetable oils and plant alkaloids.
For millennia cannabis plants have had many uses:
- It has been used for making rope or fibre
- Cooked and extracted to be utilised as food and medicine
- Used ceremoniously or shamanically
- Religious groups have used or endorsed cannabis
What does CBD do and why take it?
CBD interacts with our endocannabinoid system (yes, we all have them!) found in our brain, central and peripheral nervous systems, our fats, muscles and immune cells provide a natural alternative for treating:
- Chronic pain
- Epilepsy and many other conditions or ailments
For more information on the benefits, see our in-depth CBD guides.
Cannabis has many chemical constituents called cannabinoids which alter neurotransmitter release from the brain.
- CBD binds to a receptor called CB1. This in turn inhibits glutamate (an excitatory neurotransmitter). It is important because the inhibitory actions of the CB1 play a role in maintaining normal brain activity, this means that CB1 receptors protect the brain against seizures
- It has been shown to protect the brain from damage from oxidative stress, decreased brain inflammation and increased adenosine which is used for energy creation and sleep
- Our serotonin receptor 5HT-1A has its signalling ability increased by cannabidiol. This is mine and your receptor for mood balance
How can I take CBD?
Pretty much however you like; the diversity in the options available is outstanding. You can put it into you favourite dishes and smoothies, add it in your vape oils, or take drops under your tongue. However, with non-water soluble CBD products, your body will stuggle to absorb the CBD you’re paying for.
Why choose 99% water-soluble CBD?
The latest in swiss micelle technology by Enhanced CBD Health drives our absorption rate from 5-10% up to almost a staggering 100%. Orally taken substances have to be absorbed in the intestinal cells before they can enter the bloodstream. This can only be done in water-soluble form. Fat-soluble substances have to be metabolised by the body and this process takes a lot of our time and energy.
As our liver metabolises most of our oil, you don’t really get our money’s worth. Using a water-soluble CBD oil we increase our absorption almost tenfold, making it the obvious choice for your budget and health.
- Our medical grade CBD water soluble oils enable full body absorption meaning that you get the most out of every drop
- The swiss micella technology skyrockets our absorption rate from 5-10% to nearly 100%
- Feel the effects more strongly and in turn control your dosage more accurately
- Organic and rigorously tested – comes as either an isolate or full spectrum solution
- Contains all beneficial cannabinoids and terpenes
- A choice of 10ml or 30ml tamper proof dropper bottles- ideal for taking mixed in water
- 100% natural
How much can you take?
Each of the products in our range are safe to dose yourself. It is recommended to start with 2-3 drops and see how it works toward your desired result. All of the products can be dropped into water or other non-alcoholic drinks.
Our range includes two products containing curcumin one at 3% and another at 6%. Turmeric (which contains the mighty powerful ingredient cucurmin) has been used for 1000s of years for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and still to this day is a popular herbal supplement. Together with CBD, it makes a superior addition to the shelf.
Also in the range are a full spectrum 5% 10 ml which boasts faster and better results as well as a 5% isolate which means it contains only CBD and no other cannabinoids or terpenes for a pure 100% organic and 99% water-soluble CBD. For in-depth lab reports on all of our products, please see our shop.
Let us help you get started
Enhanced CBD Health supply a high quality range of 99% water soluble CBD products, when choosing your product have a further read about us and see how the products can benefit you.
It is important to remember when buying CBD products that you consult with your doctor if you are pregnant , nursing or under medical supervision. Treat Cannabidiol as you would any other food supplement, store it in a cool dry place and out of direct sunlight. For more information on CBD oil, please see our FAQ.